Monday, March 31, 2014

Basic training graduation- family day

The first day we got to see Travis (Wednesday) was "family day" they gave us a briefing before but I could hardly pay attention because I was so excited/nervous/anxious to see him!!


Mason hung out on grandma Jim Jim's lap most of the time. 
The smoke started by tossing grenades as the started to March out. Mason loved it and was completely entertained. We have part of it on video and he loves to watch the "army men" over and over. 
I couldn't tell which one was Travis but I knew he was the tallest (he told me in about every letter!) when they released us to go find our soldiers (they couldn't leave formation until a family member released them) the bleachers were completely packed. Everyone was trying to go down the stairs at once. I was way too excited. I ran down the seats of the bleachers to the bottom and hopped the fence. I dropped about 4-5 feet! But I ran and found him and hugged him so tight. I was crying and stepping all over his boots and tugging on his coat. It was so great to see him again. After we left the feild he couldn't touch me again (uniform rules) so that was disappointing. But we went around the corner and mason shouted "my daddy!!" In the most cute excited voice I had heard him say! He didn't let Travis put him down pretty much the rest of the day (the PDA rules don't apply for children) 

Travis and Chuck and Renee and Jim on our way into dinner

We ate and shopped and talked. I had so much adrenalin built up I was feeling pretty sick. I kept squeezing my fist to try to release some energy. Chris hugged me tight and that seemed to help. It was just so emotionally draining. To be together again but different. It's hard to explain. 

After Travis gave us a tour of the base and where some of his activities took place, Chris and Jim went back to chuck and Renee's with mason. I stayed on base that night and Travis had to be back in his barracks before 8. I didn't get into my hotel until 6 because the rooms weren't ready. But it was nice to talk and really connect. 
Travis' group was a hard bunch of guys who kept getting into trouble. That is why he didn't get many phone calls or time to write. He was very glad that basic was over. I was very glad that step one is over! Now onto AIT!!

No comments: